The organisers of the Inter-Livery Skiing Championship 2022 have reluctantly taken the decision to cancel this month’s event in Morzine.
Dear Team Captains,
First of all, thank you once again for your patience and understanding.
I am EXTREMELY sorry to have to tell you that I have had to admit defeat: ILSC 2022 is officially cancelled.
I have reached this decision for a number of reasons:
- The law: It is still currently illegal for Brits to go to France on holiday. That could change this week but I believe it is unlikely. It is one thing to take it upon yourselves or ourselves as individuals as to whether we abide by or ‘work around’ the rules but it is another thing to be actively encouraging or organising others to do so – whether personally or as an organisation – meaning the Ironmongers. While we know how discreet all of you would be, with Social Media being what it is…
- Our suppliers: Many hotels have been extremely helpful and flexible over booking arrangements and deposits etc. I think it is only fair to give them a chance to sell rooms to those that have a better chance of being able to use them.
- Safety: My sources are telling me that Morzine is rammed with Dutch and Belgians and that Covid is even more widespread than here…. Also, vaccination rates are a good deal lower than here in the UK and mask wearing in public is, at best, extremely inconsistent.
- Purpose: Even if we left it open and tried to run some races, the whole point of our event is to allow people to mix and socialise which is patently not a great idea in large numbers.
- Clarity: I am sure that you all want to know one way or another what is happening. I have already had a few companies pull out and I am sure that that would continue.
Please do stay in this group for next year (unless you are fully retiring, in which case do please let me know and if possible introduce a replacement TC for your Company).
Refunds: As each TC is aware of the funds they paid to the Ironmongers, please would you contact me by personal message with the account details to which refund(s) should be made. I will then pass this on to our accounts department.
I would like to thank our sponsors Punter Southall Wealth (formerly Psigma) for sticking with us. They had very kindly agreed to continue to support us, even though the functions looked like being far more limited, and they had even bought new race bibs and banners with their corporate logo on. I hope that they will still be with us along with all of you next year.
Finally, I have a further message about Snow-Camp, but I am going to make that into a separate message tomorrow.
I am so sorry to ruin your weekend with this sad news but feel it is best to let you know as soon as possible.
Let’s hope that 2023 gives us better luck!
Best wishes, on behalf of the Ironmongers
Christopher & Suki